Several years ago, I took a class in which we made these great folded cards out of double-sided cardstock. I have probably made about 1,000 of these since, sending many and selling others. They feature an inside pocket perfect for a gift certificate or a check or a piece of paper with a personal message. Or a photo, too, I suppose! Their outsides can be decorated any way you like. Here’s how:
To makes these cards, you will need:
12 x 12 inch heavy-weight paper or regular cardstock, decorated on both sides
plain paper, white or cream, to match printed cardstock
For decoration (use as many or as few as you like):
scraps of solid and printed cardstock to coordinate with card
brads or rhinestones
glitter glue and/or Liquid Pearls
rubber stamps with greetings
Okay, let’s get started:
1. Cut 12×12 paper or cardstock to measure 12 x 9 inches. Decide which side you want to be the primary focus and which you want to be the secondary focus.
2. Fold paper or cardstock in half lengthwise with your primary focus on the outside. Score with bone folder.
3. Open the folded paper or cardstock up. Bring the lower right and upper left corners into the center fold line and fold. Score with bone folder.
4. Fold paper or cardstock in half widthwise, bringing lower edge to meet upper edge. Score with bone folder.
5. Close card, making sure edges are flush. Use bone folder to score all folds and make edges meet. Put small pieces of tape inside pockets close to the edge of the card to keep things from slipping out.
6. Cut a piece of plain paper 1/4 inches smaller than measurements of inside pocket and slip inside for message.
And that’s your basic folded card. Now you get to do the fun stuff – decide how you want to decorate them. I have been making a lot of these and posting them in my Etsy store. To see how I eventually decorated the cards in the picture, go here. You can see other examples here and here.
To decorate them as I have, you will need one of those punches that makes two side-by-side slots and use it just above the diagonal fold on front. Put in a piece of ribbon and tie. Use greeting rubber stamps to make panels with colored or printed cardstock backs, and use flower punches to make flowers. You can decorate the center of the flowers with brads or rhinestones, and you can use glitter glue or Liquid Pearls to highlight some areas of the outside of the card.
Now, go get busy and send me some pictures, which I will post here.